Monday 3 July 2017

Bogged Down

I don’t know about you but I find myself getting so bogged down with doing this and that, that I fail to do what I ought to be doing. For instance, this blog. I should post something every single day – it’s a commitment that I should uphold, to God and to you. 

Just like Martha in Luke 10:38-42, we sometimes pay so much attention to the peripheral issues that we lose sight of what’s really important. Can you relate?

My last blog post was June twenty third, nine days ago. What was I really doing from then until now? I look around and I can see no evidence of my busyness. In Ecclesiastes, Solomon lets us know that all our striving is like chasing after the wind but what God has appointed us to do is worthwhile, substantial and will make a difference, so whether this blog is read by thousands or by only one person, I know that because God has led me to do it, it is accomplishing His purpose therefore I need to be consistent and not allow myself to be pulled away. 

The truth is, when I sit down to meditate, research, and write, what is actually happening is that I am spending time in God’s presence and then, I become like Martha’s sister Mary, who sat at Jesus’ feet, hanging on to Jesus’ every word – learning valuable lessons and gaining spiritual insight as I read and listen. 

Beloved do not believe that you have to be in church or theological college or in a Bible study group to sit at Jesus’ feet and be in His presence. Spending time with God can take place right where you are. My bedroom is where I really get into deep intimate fellowship with God – conversing, studying His Word and being taught by Spirit. Too many times we favour busyness over intimacy. Forgetting that there’s a time for everything, we get so involved in certain things that the one thing that matters is neglected. Jesus said to Martha, 

“Oh Martha, Martha, you are so anxious and concerned about a million details, but really, only one thing matters. Mary has chosen that one thing, and I won’t take it away from her.” (Luke 10:41-42 VOICE)

Unlike her sister, Mary used her time wisely. She seized the opportunity to take full advantage of Jesus’ visit. We too must make the choice not to misuse our time. What’s the use of getting so bogged down with stuff that we miss out on that one thing that won’t be taken away from us, spending vital time with God? 

Let us all pray for wisdom concerning all things, especially about the time we spend with God.

Amen†






Bogged Down
Shelley Johnson July 3, 2017





No comments:

Post a Comment