Saturday, 8 August 2026

Jesus' Passionate Desire

Jesus prayed,

I pray not only for these followers but also for those who will believe in me because of their teaching. Father, I pray that all who believe in me can be one. (John 17:20, 21 ERV)

So, what’s going on with His followers nowadays? We say we believe in Jesus; we gather together as congregations; we look the part and act the part but…anyway.

It is written in 1 Corinthians 11:30-33 (MSG),

If you give no thought (or worse, don’t care) about the broken body of the Master when you eat and drink, you’re running the risk of serious consequences. That’s why so many of you even now are listless and sick, and others have gone to an early grave. If we get this straight now, we won’t have to be straightened out later on. Better to be confronted by the Master now than to face a fiery confrontation later.

So, my friends, when you come together to the Lord’s Table, be reverent and courteous with one another. If you’re so hungry that you can’t wait to be served, go home and get a sandwich. But by no means risk turning this Meal into an eating and drinking binge or a family squabble. It is a spiritual meal—a love feast.

This translation gets the message across. Apostle Paul is clearly saying that those who partake of the sacrament of communion while refusing to see or pay attention to each other as being part of the Lord’s body are running the risk of serious consequences, which he details as listlessness, sickness and an early grave.

Not my words. Paul’s warning to the Corinthians then, is applicable to us today. We cannot continue to be ignorant of the dire spiritual effects our behaviour can cause.

Jesus Christ suffered, His body “broken” for all of us, yet we turn what is meant to be a time of fellowship throughout the Body of Christ, which is His Church, into a church-family squabble. Have we no regard for the sanctity of Christ’s sacrifice?

There is one loaf of bread, so we who are many are one body, because we all share in that one loaf. (1 Corinthians 10:17 ERV)

Jesus continued His prayer,

You are in me and I am in you. I pray that they can also be one in us. Then the world will believe that you sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me. I gave them this glory so that they can be one, just as you and I are one. I will be in them, and you will be in me. So they will be completely one. Then the world will know that you sent me and that you loved them just as you loved me. (John 17:21-23 ERV)

When potential converts enter your church, will they believe that the Father sent the Son? Will they believe that the Father loved them just as [He] loved [Jesus]? Will they see unity but sense division?

Oh, how wonderful, how pleasing it is when God’s people all come together as one!  (Psalm 133:1 ERV)

David, a man after God’s own heart, understood the unity of one.

Jesus continued with,

Father, I want these people you have given me to be with me in every place I am. I want them to see my glory—the glory you gave me because you loved me before the world was made. (John 17:21-23 ERV)

Beloved, oneness was and still is, Jesus’ passionate desire. This passion can be seen in His prayer which is a picture of the oneness Jesus shares with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus had already emphasized that He and the Father are one (see John 10:30) and solidified that truth more so when He prayed for the unity of believers, not just with each other but with the Father, the Son and the Spirit, so that we may be made perfect in One.

The sad fact is, as a church, we can never be completely one in Them if we cannot even achieve oneness with each other.

Amen








Shelley Johnson “Jesus’ Passionate Desire” © 2026 August 7, 2026

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment