Saturday 16 April 2016

Disappointment

Every one of us, Christian or not, new believer or long-time believer have experienced some kind of disappointment or other. When we feel that life isn’t going the way we expected; when a trusted friend does something or says something that hurt us; when a family member takes a wrong turn; not getting that long awaited promotion; losing a race and the list can go on and on. There are so many reasons that cause us to feel disappointed in others, in ourselves, and even in God. 


As Christians we often tend to think that following Christ ought to afford us immunity against disappointing circumstances and the troubles and challenges life has a habit of throwing at us. Like Peter, we want to say to Jesus, “But Lord, I’ve left everything to follow You…so why am I going through this?” (see Mark 10:28)

Perhaps you haven’t left everything, but some have, and all, I’m sure, have made painful sacrifices along the way. And maybe, more times than not, you’ve questioned: 

“Doesn’t that count for something? Shouldn’t my sacrifices give me freedom from disappointment?”

“Why is it that godless people are thriving while, a Christian like me is struggling?”

“They haven’t seen the inside of a church since Noah built the ark, how come they’re doing so well and we’re not?”

You’ve been faced with one disappointment after another, there seems to be no letting up. You’re fighting your way through a seemingly never-ending stream of loss, debt, heartache, and disappointment and can’t help but wonder what’s going on. Has God forgotten you? Isn’t God seeing what’s going on? 

"Where’s God, I need help!" 

"Jesus, don’t You see that I’m drowning?"

Beloved, God is aware of everything that you’re going through. God’s eye is on you. God’s Word is filled with answers to every one of your questions. 

Below are just a few Scripture verses to remind you that God knows of your situation and He hasn’t turned away but first, let’s see what was Jesus’ answer to Peter in the Gospel of Mark,

"I tell all of you with certainty, there is no one who has left his home, brothers, sisters, mother, father, children, or fields because of Me and the gospel who will not receive a hundred times as much here in this world—homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and fields, along with persecution—as well as eternal life in the age to come.” (v. 29-30)

What a promise! 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 4:6-7

From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. 
Psalm 121:1-3

He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength. 
Isaiah 40:29

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble… 
Psalm 46:1

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God… 
Psalm 42:11

[God said] I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent among you. 
Joel 2:25

Jesus said, “In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” 
John 16:33

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. 
Psalm 34:18

Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. 
Psalm 30:5

Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall. 
Psalm 55:22

Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 
Romans 12:12

Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you. 
Deuteronomy 31:6

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. 
Isaiah 41:10

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! 
Psalm 37:7

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them. 
Romans 8:28 







Disappointment Shelley Johnson 15-Apr-2016




No comments:

Post a Comment