Friday 8 April 2016

The Comforter

“And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you forever…But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, Whom the Father will send in My Name… “ [John 14:16…26]


During His time on earth, Jesus was comforter to His disciples but the time had come for Him to depart, to go back to the Father. At His announcement, the disciples were overcome by sadness as they contemplated what a future without Jesus would mean – loneliness, helplessness, desolation, victimization. John 14:16 and 26 reveal to us that Jesus, very aware of the great sorrow that filled their hearts, promised them “another Comforter”, the Holy Spirit. Jesus assures them that He was not about to leave them comfortless; they would not be left alone, and Another, just as Divine as He is Divine, would take His place. This promise of “another Comforter” was not for the disciples of that time only but is for every single believer, then, now, and in the time to come.

As Comforter, the Holy Spirit is not just called to our side but when we receive Jesus Christ as our Saviour – born again from above – abides within us. Therefore, as believers in and followers of Jesus Christ, Spirit is our constant companion, ever present, ready and prepared to stand by us and take our part in everything in which we require consolation and help. 

Today, determine to remember that you have an ever present Comforter with you when troubles arise, in times of sadness, dejection, despair, loneliness, helplessness, and fear. 

Let us pray,

Father, I thank You for the indescribable gift of Your Holy Spirit, the Comforter, Who never leaves my side. I thank You for this divine Comforter, the promise of all promises, abiding within me to bring me comfort in every area of my life. Blessed Spirit, my Comforter, You are here and so I am never alone. Reveal to me this day, the deep and glorious things about my Lord Jesus, things that fill my heart with comfort, joy, peace, and rest. I thank You divine Comforter for Your presence abiding in me and Your manifesting power working in me, as I pray in the Name of my Lord Jesus, now and forever more. Amen.






The Comforter ©2013 Shelley Johnson 20-Sep-13

No comments:

Post a Comment