Sunday 3 January 2016

Newness of Life


A new year has finally begun for me, not from January one but from today, the third, the day I make my covenant with God. The year really begins for me when I recite, from the heart
, these words of promise to God today, the first Sunday of this New Year…

“I am no longer my own, but Yours. Put me to what You will, rank me with whom You will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for You or laid aside for You; exalted for You or brought low for You; let me be full, let me be empty; let me have all things, let me have nothing; I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal.

And now, O glorious God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, You are mine, and I am Yours. So be it. And the Covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.”


When I say these words to God, I sincerely mean what I say, and I believe that I truly am no longer my own but God’s. I offer myself to God for Him to work in me, both to will and to act in order to fulfill His good pleasure (see Philippians 2:13).

The focus is not on me but the focus is on God and the Covenant I make with Him. Understand that this Covenant is not for God’s benefit – God does not need me but I’m in utter need of Him. We all are. 

And, like with all God's covenants, it is sealed by blood; the blood of Christ, as I partake of Holy Communion. 

It is newness of life.

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all I ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within me, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus…forever and ever! Amen. 







Newness of Life      Shelley Johnson 02 Jan 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment