Friday 19 February 2016

Our Betrayal


We look upon Judas Iscariot and his awful act of betrayal, with disdain, and rightly so…but, how many times have we ourselves allowed our fleshly weaknesses and worldly desires to take precedence over the good we ought to do? How many times, out of convenience, have we laid aside the things of God to indulge in our own plans because it seemed easier? How many times have we turned away from Jesus’ teachings to satisfy our own cravings? How many times have we offered to kiss one in order to acquire favour or rob the promotion due another? 

During this Lenten Season, as you gaze upon the cross of Christ’s crucifixion, seek a deeper revelation of His incredible sacrifice, take an honest look inwardly and ask yourself: How many times have I participated in an act of betrayal of Jesus Christ by giving the devil access through…?

...my selfish motives; my love of money and other earthly treasures; my lust; my avarice and greed; my envy and jealousy; my arrogance; my self-righteous attitude; my bitterness and resentment; my pride; my apathy; my insincerity; my don’t care behavior; my spiritual disillusionment; my prayer-less existence; my carnal thoughts and ideas; my baseless words, filthy speech and lies; my drunkenness; my cultivating a wrong view of God by rejecting His Word; my disbelief; devising wickedness in my heart; causing mischief, sowing discord and stirring up strife; my disobedience to Jesus’ instructions…

And the list goes on and on and we do not even recognize that we are giving the devil access to use us and every time we give the devil access, we send Jesus to the cross all over again.

When we have not stayed true to our commitment to Jesus Christ, when we have allowed the things of this world to overshadow and outweigh the things of God, we betray Jesus. But there’s good news in the cross, the crucifixion, and the resurrection through which all our sins have been forgiven forever! 

Today, let us re-commit ourselves to Him by, once again, confessing with our lips that Jesus is Lord and re-kindling belief in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead.

Amen †








Our Betrayal © 2014 Shelley Johnson 17-Apr-14




No comments:

Post a Comment