Saturday 26 September 2015

“I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life”


Who was Jesus really claiming to be when He declared to His troubled disciples, “I Am the Way, the Truth and the Life” [John 14:6]? This is a very profound claim by Jesus. 

Jesus, just moments before, had told them, “You know the way to the place where I am going.” [John 14:4] but they did not understand. Jesus was in fact explaining to them the way back to God. He was then, and is now, saying that the only way back to God is through Him. Jesus’ was a conversation of comfort; leaving His disciples with the consolation that eternal life awaits those who trust in God and trust in Him (see John 14:1-3).

When Jesus proclaimed His identity as the Way, the Truth and the Life, He was not giving the disciples merely a list of who He is – I AM 1 2 3 – but was stating, what can only be described as an absolute truth. Jesus was actually saying this:

“I AM the Way BECAUSE I AM the Truth and BECAUSE I AM the Life.”

When Philip asked Jesus to “show us the Father” and Jesus answered, “Don’t you know Me, Philip…? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father.”[John 14:8, 9], His claim became even more exceptional.

“I AM the Way to the Father, because, I AM the True living manifestation of the Father.” (see Exodus 3:14; Isaiah 9:6; Matthew 1:23; 2 Corinthians 4-6; Colossians 1:15)

“And, because, I AM the True living manifestation of the Father, I AM the only One who has the power of eternal Life.”(see John 5:24; 10:28; Romans 6:23; 1 Timothy 1:16; 1 John 1:2)


The ONLY way to the Father is through the only true manifestation of the Father, Jesus Christ, in whom there is Life eternal. Jesus secured eternal Life for us on the cross, so that now we may be re-united with the Father. There is no other way! 

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life for whosoever will call upon His name. This is the living Truth of God’s infallible Word. 

Beloved, like the disciples in the Gospel account of John 14, you too can find comfort and be confident in who Jesus says He is and, if you know Jesus as the Way, the Truth and the Life, share the good news with others, it may be just what they desperately need to hear.

Amen†




“I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life” [John 14:6] ©2013 Shelley Johnson 1-May-13

No comments:

Post a Comment