Monday 30 May 2016

“Your Fragrance”

I was having a conversation about God with a dear friend when, in the midst of it, he suddenly asked, “What is that smell?” I responded, “What smell? I’m not smelling anything…” He continued, “It’s unusual, like nothing I’ve ever smelled before…such a lovely smell…” his voice descending almost to a whisper as he sniffed the air around us. Still sniffing, he came up close to me and with a broad grin of discovery, exclaimed, “It’s you!” “It’s probably my perfume.” I said dryly as I sniffed at my forearm. “No…I’m smelling your perfume and it’s not that…it’s more than that, it’s you, it’s your fragrance.”

Puzzled, that conversation tumbled around in my mind for many days, as I contemplated what he’d said, “It’s your fragrance”. What did he smell that day? Was it an actual fragrance or was it his imagination? Whatever it was it was obviously real to him. Then one day, not long after, I stumbled upon these verses in Apostle Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians…

“Through us, He [God] brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life.” 
(2 Corinthians 2:14-16 MSG)

Well knock me down with a feather!

When we tell of God we emit a sweet fragrance to Him and to those who are being saved, it’s “an aroma redolent with life” – fragrant with the life of Christ. It is a spiritual fragrance, your spirit exuding the sweet aroma of Christ, which becomes apparent when we bless God by sharing with others, who He is, and what He has done, can do, will do, and is doing. In other words, when we begin to focus on God and the things of God, we become a sweet savour to Him, and to all those who come to believe in Him and love Him.

John 3:36 tells us, "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on them."

(see also Luke 6:10)

Unfortunately, those who are perishing – continue to reject the Gospel of Christ – do not smell the lovely aroma, instead they smell the odor of death (2 Corinthians 2:16).

My dear, determine from today, to focus on God and the things of God. Believe Him, bless Him, praise Him, and share Him with others so that your fragrance may be released, to Him and to "those on the way of salvation". 

Amen†






“Your Fragrance”    Shelley Johnson 29-May-2016







No comments:

Post a Comment